Sultanate of Tadjoura
The Sultanate of Tadjoura was one of small sultanates located on the
African oast along the Red Sea as far back as the 12th century. In 1862,
an envoy of the Dardar or Afar sultan allowed the French to use the
port of Tadjoura. His flag was plain red, also common among many states
along the Arab peninsula.
The chronicles mentioned four small Sultanates which
controlled the caravan traffic with Ethiopia. Tadjoura was one of them. The
Sultan of Tadjoura was called "Dardar
". His power was represented
by two "sacred
drums", which were buried for one year after the Sultans death. The
Tadjoura accepted a British Protectorate in 1840 and the Musha Island,
Gulf of Tadjoura, was given to the United Kingdom. In 1862, an envoy of
the Dardar signed in Paris a treaty allowing the French vessels to moor
in the port
of Tadjoura. Tadjoura became an important port of call for the vessels
to Madagascar and Indochina, which were not allowed to moor in
British colonization in 1839. The Sultanate was later incorporated into
the Republic of Djibouti.
The flag was a 1:2 plain red flag.
colour of this flag as being associated with the Red Sea.
flags were used by Muslim countries throughout North Africa and Arabia, not only
(and absolutely independent to) those used in Oman and Zanzibar.
An Afar girl from the Sultanate of Tadjoura wears exotic gold jewellery for marriage
Djibouti, Tadjoura. During a dance, Muslim girls from the Sultanate of Tadjoura, dress up in all their finery